All in a Day’s Work – 5 Top Tips to Choosing which Day to Move
Friday still seems to be the most popular day of the week to move house because it gives you the whole weekend to unpack and settle in (as much as it’s really possible to settle in over two days anyway). But if everyone moves on a Friday then that puts an immense amount of pressure on estate agents, solicitors, buyers and sellers alike. Long chains also increase demand for removals companies and some even charge higher rates on a Friday.
So what about the other days of the week? Is there any benefit in moving house on any other day and is it any less stressful? As a removals company serving Norwich and Norfolk, it doesn’t seem to make too much of a difference to us which day you move because this is our bread and butter; making sure your cherished possessions arrive on time and in one piece is as important to us no matter what day you choose. Nevertheless, we’ve come up with 5 top tips to help you decide:
- Monday – Is it a bank holiday? Is it Easter? Or May Day?
- Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday – Mid-week moving might mean taking more time off work and finding someone to help with the kids but the flip side is that since fewer people move mid-week there’ll probably be fewer hiccups.
- Friday – Is it Friday 13th? Seriously. People are still superstitious. If you do choose to move on a Friday then check with your removals company if they are charging you more for the pleasure. Maybe you should get another estimate from us, just to be sure. Also, because more people move on a Friday, the longer the chain will be, and the longer the chain, the higher the risk someone will be late with payment and that could mean you can’t get your keys! In which case, you’ll have to wait until Monday before completing, as long as it’s not a bank holiday of course! Better make sure there’s a hotel or friend nearby who might be able to offer you a sofa bed for a couple of nights if you can’t move in 🙂
- Saturday – It’s the weekend! Relax. Shop. Watch the footie. (Do solicitors even work on a Satruday?)
- Sunday – Relax, enjoy a Sunday roast, a walk in the park, or a trip to the beach.